WHY I MIGHT NOT REPLY ON FACEBOOK (MUCH) UNTIL NOVEMBER
I had a come to Jesus talk with myself this morning about the reality of my book deadline, and how that seems to be mutually exclusive with my propensity to say yes to EVERYTHING because, well, I like people and events and learning new things. However, that isn’t getting my book written.
So, below is my new auto-reply on my email, which also applies to FB messages.
As far as Facebook is concerned, I’m going to have to come up with some new rules about that, too. My book proposal (which was 85 pages) only got done when I deactivated. I’m not sure if that’s where I’m headed, but I know that I need to reduce my activity on here. I tend to be in a unusual camp which believes that Facebook is GENUINELY a source of love and light – at least with the friends and newsfeed I have right now – not a waste of time. But it still doesn’t allow me to go deep into writing mode. I pop out to see what you think, to get new ideas, to connect and to support. I still want to do all of these things, but it will have to be on a less regular basis.
I’m posting this because if I don’t reply to your FB messages, I want you to know why!
I am still attending Burning Man, but I’m going to try to cut out everything else (that I haven’t already agreed to attend).
Thank you for your support.
So, as most of you already know, I am under contract to write a book called “Experiments in Happiness,” for St. Martin’s Press. That deadline is looming, and I have to take some drastic measures in order to ensure it is met.
I tried to write this book while also “doing life” and as it turns out, I wasn’t very good at it. As a result, I am completely clearing my calendar of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that I haven’t already agreed to attend, support, or engage in (and even those events are being questioned right now).
To save everyone time, here are my new “rules”:
- IF this is a new request (interview, quote, blurb, speech, etc) and it is unpaid, unfortunately I will have to politely decline.
– IF this is an event, a dinner, a brunch, a party, or a meeting – I would love to attend, but I cannot. It sounds awesome, though. Please start asking me again when you hear the jubilant news I have turned in the manuscript. (Not until November)
– IF this is a potential partnership or advisor-ship to your startup, I would love to hear more, but please email me again in November.
– IF this is an introduction, a date or a new friend – I am really excited to meet you, but it will have to be after the book is finished, in December, or, more likely, January 2015.
– IF this is from a friend or loved one and it is urgent, please text me. Otherwise, please forgive me for being MIA for the next few months. I promise I’ll make it up to you with energy and enthusiasm and love when I am finished.
– IF this is ABOUT the book, please re-send me an email with the subject line “BOOK”
– IF this is about a PAID engagement, please re-send me an email with the subject like “PAID”
– IF this is about an obligation I have already agreed to, I will honor my obligation, but please, if it’s not urgent, would you please let me know if it can be rescheduled to November/December/January?
Please know how much I would love to be engaged with you, but if I want to finish this book – and I do – I just can’t right now.
Thank you for being a part of my life.
With deep gratitude for your support,