Julia Allison: A Shill Who Will Sully Sony

finger

Apparently, “columnist” and “web celebrity” Julia Allison has a new gig — with Sony.

Sony today announced its new integrated marketing campaign, which aims to reinforce Sony as a leader in quality and hopefully spur consumer demand for holiday shopping in the fourth quarter. The creative concept is an expansion of the company’s 2008 HDNA campaign, which featured a “panel” of celebrity experts who served as brand ambassadors. Situated in retail environments, celebrity panelists assist consumers in choosing Sony products by differentiating the brand from its competitors.  The campaign was created with the support of the company’s advertising agency 180, Los Angeles. Starting in September and running through early 2010, the campaign will go across all consumer touch points with complete integration of the creative concept from online and point-of-sale to advertising and consumer PR.

The 2009 HDNA campaign (which Sony has called HDNA2 on twitter) will include Indianapolis Colts quarterback and Super Bowl MVP Peyton Manning, but also Grammy and Emmy-award winning Jive/Sony Music artist Justin Timberlake. Rounding out the list are: ESPN reporter, Erin Andrews; fashion photographer and “America’s Next Top Model” judge, Nigel Barker; author and comedienne, Amy Sedaris; columnist and Web celebrity, Julia Allison; and award-winning cinematographer, Dion Beebe. Humor is consistently used to demystify electronics and connect with viewers – in the screenshot of the commercial we found, it appears that Payton Manning and Justin Timberlake are playing ping pong.

“All talent were chosen for their high public profiles, and because like Sony, they are leaders in their respective fields,” Redsun said.

Sony is really looking to push products in the BRAVIA television line, Blu-ray Disc home entertainment, Cyber-shot digital cameras, alpha digital SLR cameras, Handycam camcorders and Sony professional high-definition camera systems, VAIO notebook computers and Sony Reader digital books.

“Quality is a message consumers most associate with Sony, so we feel confident our campaign message will strongly resonate in the marketplace, especially given that quality is the number one purchase driver for consumer electronics,” said Stuart Redsun, senior vice president, marketing.

Mass media will include national commercial spots, all shot with the Sony F35 professional camera system, which has also been used on CBS’s “CSI: New York” and several other television series. Additionally, there will be online banner ads, radio and newsprint. A multitude of in-store merchandising for authorized Sony dealers to integrate the campaign at retail will include retail video, pop-up displays, counter cards, post wraps, end caps and hang tags. Ad mats, ad bugs and screen fills will be available for retailers to merchandise through retailer circulars. Other campaign elements include a SonyStyle.com showcase site as well as customizable micro-sites for retailers.

How she gets these gigs at this point is completely beyond me. I’m seriously baffled. Cockroaches are asking this bitch about survival techniques. As far as the Sony gig: maybe she misread “Bravia” as “Bravo” and walked into the offices to  cry and beg for another chance.

98 Responses to Julia Allison: A Shill Who Will Sully Sony

1. PhillyHoya says:

Now she’s going to claim she’s “friends” with all these celebs.

• shamoolia says:

Didn’t she bray about being in the same bar or restaurant as Justin Timberlake once? What a tacky, bottom feeding starfucker.

• awkward.com says:

Expect a massive girl crush on Amy Sedaris in 4…3…2…1…

2. Bray.com says:

I never want to hear Amy Sedaris and Julia Allison mentioned in the same breath again. Kills my soul a little.

• Pelts to the No says:

no kidding. WTF?!?!?! between this news and the ongoing revolting “town hall” lunacy, i hate the world today.

3. LickedRandi'sCake says:

Good God. I can’t think of a better example of “Who On This List Does Not Belong”? I mean, forget about what we all know about her. Peyton Manning, Justin Timberlake, Amy Sedaris and JULIA FUCKING ALLISON!

It’s official. Up is down and down is up. I think I just felt the clunk of the Earth being thrown off it’s axis.

4. tennessee says:

I just wrote a review. The thing to remember here is to provide solid examples as to why she’s vile and would be a terrible brand steward. Simply calling her names isn’t going to work.

That being said – who’s running Sony these days? Do they have Google? Can they not do a simple search? Scary.

• it’s not sony, it’s the ad firm, 180 LA. you can tweet complain to them at http://twitter.com/180la

• WTH? says:

I agree. Calling her names or commenting on her appearance makes the comment look bad in my opinion. It’s one thing to do it here, this site has a different purpose. But if the point is to explain why she’s a poor representative for a brand, talking about her looks or calling her names obscures the actual real reasons for why she would make a poor brand representative for almost any company.

5. Sausage Snappers says:

Oh I wish we hadn’t been linked in the comments. This website would appear crazy to any random passerby.

• for serious??? says:

Don’t worry. It’s all here and anyone who spends some time here will see her dancing on the genius bar, having conversations with her DOG, getting her gratis rental smart car towed…..

• totaljing says:

Yeah the linking was not a smart idea. Further, if people continue to publicly plan commenting bombing on related sites, no one will take the comments seriously. It looks pretty obvious, all those comments in a row. Kinda silly if you ask me, but ya didn’t….

• PhillyHoya says:

I removed the link I posted.

6. anon says:

The reason she keeps getting these gigs is because you people keep discussing her. Don’t you know that aside from you, no one cares. No one reads her blog or talks about her. You enable her to do all of these things. If you want it to stop, simple stop paying attention to her. I really don’t understand you. You are obviously all incredibly jealous. Of what, I don’t know.

• Worrisome Pelts says:

Ow! My soooooooooooooul!

• awkward.com says:

Hi Julia!!! Yep, we’re all fat, jealous haterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

• Julia's Fat Ass says:

I for one am jealous of her ability to pay $2800 rent, shop constantly, travel incessantly, yet have no actual job. You are correct.

• shamoolia says:

Can you please explain how a barely known snark blog read by about a hundred regular reader enables Julia to get gigs? Or how we could be jealous of the downward spiraling shitshow that her life has become?

• WTH? says:

“Can you please explain how a barely known snark blog read by about a hundred regular reader enables Julia to get gigs?”

So true. I wish we were as influential as anon seems to think!

• anon says:

Look, I guarantee you that if this site went away, so would she.

• um, anon, baugher (the original reblogger) already tried that. that blog was silent for two months, and julia did not go away. that was before the present reblogging site even existed. so, you are wrong.

• anon says:

Seriously, I challenge everyone here to stop paying attention to her for a month. No reading her blog, no reading any spin-off blogs or articles posted about her on other blogs, no reading her Twitter, etc. Without an audience, she is nothing.

It’s sick and twisted, but almost everything she does is targeted at readers of this blog and similar blogs. Don’t you understand that? She doesn’t care about good/bad press, she just cares about press.

• shamoolia says:

I can only think one one person who has such a vested interest in this site “going away” and who routinely calls us “jealous.” Hmm….. I wonder where anon’s IP address is located?

• shamoolia says:

This blog is hardly “press.”

• Paul Truckk says:

Anon,

Buy a clue:

Do you see RBNS in the results?

• WTH? says:

“Look, I guarantee you that if this site went away, so would she.”

Wishful thining anon. How does this site for example help her get the sony gig? How many people even read this site? She was around long before this site and will be around after it too. The same was said about her being on Gawker, she’s almost never on it anymore but she still goes on. She’s like a cockroach, she will persist in some manner till the end of time. RBNS is great but we are not THAT influential, though it’s nice of you to think this site has that much power

• juliaspublicist says:

The IP is New York City. I don’t take stock in such things, but I was curious and looked. I’m not saying it is Julia, but if it is: Shalom!

• shamoolia says:

Seriously, Julia, you need to like, seriously disguise your writing style if you’re going to come on here and beg for a truce. Seriously.

• Paul Truckk says:

It’s Code TK, and he’s blogging from within the apartment!

• WTH? says:

I can’t imagine Julia Allison could ever bring herself to type the words “no one cares. No one reads her blog or talks about her” about herself, even if it was only for the purposes of shutting down this blog.

in my opinion she thinks way too highly of herself to ever think much less say that about herself, even if it’s not sincere and is just for ulterior motives. I think her fingers would burst into flames should ever attempt to write anything that contradicts how how well loved and wonderful she thinks she is. Calling herself a nobody, even in a deliberate lie? I just can’t see it happening.

• juliaspublicist says:

Really WTH? From an email Julia once sent me:

“I don’t think you understand. I’m not out to “get publicity.” If I were, I would actually TRY to get publicity (or release a sex tape!). As of right now, I post boring photos on occasion to my blog. Millions of people do the same thing. It’s not really anything special, nor am I trying to make it special.

I just do my thing – and I’m pretty happy with that right now.

The question is: why is it that a very small group of people are upset by that?”

• Sausage Snappers says:

I will never understand her. THAT IS YOUR BUSINESS YOU DUMBASS. NOT A BLOG, YOU SAID IT WAS YOUR BUSINESS. Fuck. You.

• panty thief says:

“It’s not really anything special, nor am I trying to make it special.”

Well, it’s nice of her to admit her FUCK YOU MONEY “business” is really nothing special.

Plus, the tone of that email to JP is so similar in tone to anon’s argument that it pretty much 100% confirms it as her.
        –similar tone / subject
        –the overuse of “seriously”
        –the rapid fire comment posted so soon after this post went up… she is obviously reading and following very closely

HI JULIA!!!! Instead of us “going away” and then you also going away, how about YOU GO AWAY FIRST! Then we really would have nothing to talk about! Win-win for everyone!! Come on… take the first step!!

• WTH says:

Julias Publicist,

I can see your point. And anyway on second thought I’m pretty sure that massive ego of hers can withstand a little anonymous self-dissing without problem. I’m not saying I think anon is necessarily her but you’re right she can definitely put on the self deprecating act if she thinks it will further her point or her goal.

• FuckYouMoney says:

If it’s not really anything special that millions of people do, why does this one require *interns*? I’ve never understood that. Like Kramer in that (awesome) episode of Seinfeld.

• partypants says:

Ok seriously, I say seriously like, seriously all the time. And I’m not Jonkers.

• Sausage Snappers says:

Well then it’s really quite sad that a huge company like SONY would consider hiring someone who is only followed by a few dozen folks on the internet. She has no internet cred, which is why it’s baffling that she keeps getting jobs.

And no, we really aren’t jealous. I’m here to take this bitch down a peg or two and laugh at her obvious failings in life. When she cannot get to young impressionable minds any longer, I will be satisfied. She gives women a bad name.

Many other women around the internet are idols in my eyes, and I am not afraid to compliment or encourage them. This chick has absolutely nothing worth being jealous over.

• OrangeArchesofDoom says:

Isn’t Megan A. supposedly the “tech” one? Why is Julia hoovering up a sponsorhip deal with Sony?
        When does Megan get to cash in too?
        Aren’t they supposed to be a team or something?
        Looks like this ad agency is going for the whole spectrum, A List to Bottom of the Barrel.
        I pity her interns now, big time. The only way pink princess can show up on time for anything or even have a semblance of reliability is if her interns are carrying 99% of the enterprise of her life on their shoulders. Pity. Pity and sadness.
        And confidential to JT: she’s already ratted you out on her twitter once … beware, girl has no discretion and will howl to the world that she saw you when and where and with who … because it will be about HER, i.e., she was there too. Get a restraining order in advance dude. I just say.

• Don’t you know, don’t you know
      That it’s wrong to take what is given you
      So far gone, on your own
      You can get along if you try to be strong
      But you’ll never be strong
      ‘Cause
      Don’t you know that love is painful

Oh you’re a rich girl (rich girl), and you’ve gone too far
      ‘Cause you know it don’t matter anyway
      You can rely on the old man’s money
      You can rely on the old man’s money
      It’s a bitch girl and it’s gone too far
      ‘Cause you know it don’t matter anyway (rich girl)
      Say money money but it won’t get you too far,

7. Julia's Fat Ass says:

The comments are EXPLODING! Good job people.

8. Ehehehe says:

Who thinks this has something to do with her insisting the MacBook not be shown during the livestream of TMIWeakly?

Anyone.. anyone? Because at the time I remembered someone mentioned she was shilling for Dell or some crap.

• totaljing says:

There were some comments to that effect. Also, Jules and Megs have knocked Apple a few times lately re: iphone, Genius Bar etc. They used to be Mac enthusiasts.

• Sausage Snappers says:

That was the theory once she started dramatically insisting they didn’t show the MacBook.

• shamoolia says:

It’s so hard to keep the shilling straight. They’d probably throw their dogs out onto the street if Purina cat food came calling with some “brand ambassador” opportunities.

9. Sausage Snappers says:

Don’t forget to “like” the comments!

10. nevAR forget: http://boycottnonsocietysponsors.tumblr.com/
    if only this were updated, with SONY, FRITO-LAY, SMART CAR, CARESS BODY WASH, SEAWORLD, ABSOLUT VODKA, SALT LICK BBQ, BLUEPRINT CLEANSE, TED GIBSON SALON, EVE PEARL COSMETICS, SPANX, MACALLAN WHISKEY, ALISON BROD PR, ARMANI EXCHANGE, DISNEY, CISCO, PINK VODKA, SPECK CASES, ETC.

• shamoolia says:

Don’t forget:

Nutrilite – Amway
      Hotel Zaza
      Victoria’s Secret

Are there more?

• LUNCH.COM, MINT BY JODI ARNOLD, JESSIE JAMES BOUTIQUE, JETBLUE, KAREN ZAMBOS, ENCORE HOUSTON, INNOVATION LAB NEXT 6.0 CONFERENCE (DENMARK), FOOCAMP (O’REILLY), STREAMY AWARDS, PAUL MITCHELL, HUBERT BURDA MEDIA (DLD CONFERENCE)

• HUB51 NIGHTCLUB /RJ MELMAN, LUNCH.COM/JR JOHNSON, DR. BOBBY BUKA, AMC THEATERS, MEDIABISTRO, BOXEE, TRAVELING GEEKS (AND THEIR MANY MANY SPONSORS), EQUINOX, SOUL CYCLE NYC, UNILEVER, BETSEY JOHNSON, DOVE, SKIMLINKS, CANON POWERSHOT, DROP.IO, HUDDLE.NET, SLANKET, CES, TUMBLR, NEXT NEW NETWORKS, SKYPE, PHILIPS, POTTERY BARN, BRITISH TELECOM, TOPIX.

jeebus this list just keeps getting longer…

11. for serious??? says:

Hey, lookie there….

her old hair color did not match her underneath pelts when she was a brunette either.

I just noticed that!

12. Anony says:

Dear Mr Denton,

I hope you are fucking pleased with yourself.

13. WTH? says:

I’m betting a Gawker post on the Sony deal is imminent. They don’t cover her much these days but she’s still on their radar

14. I hope Julia appears in a commercial with Justin Timberlake covering Rich Girl by Hall and Oates. He could sing it while looking at XO julia on his VAIO or PSP.

That’s actually not a bad idea. I bet it would sell a few.

15. bettedavis says:

Uggggh. Well, let’s not fret, we all know she will do something to mess this up bigtime. Inevitable. Let it unfold.

Was anyone else on the livestream chat the other night when Mary’s friend Bob brought up Sony? Don’t remember exactly, but he said something about the deal with Julia and Sony when we were on the message board.

16. Sausage Snappers says:

She’s gonna show up the day they film and everyone is going to be shocked by how the photos she must have sent it differ from real life.

• panty thief says:

They already filmed it. Remember the infamous KRAFT services photo?? Now, them actually using the footage is another matter.

17. LickedRandi'sCake says:

I still need someone to really explain to me how/why this could happen?

Does she have any kind of statistics behind her that show her name has the ability to shill anything? I mean, we KNOW Michael Jordan can sell Air Jordan’s.

Has there been an amazing spike in consumer consumption of pink and white beach bikes or something? Why would Sony even have her on their radar?

• panty thief says:

I think she has a very persistent agent who is probably desperate to get paid anything at this point. Think about it … what has she done in the last two years that could net a commission? NOTHING. He probably gets her jobs based on the same lies and fake bio that she hustles with because he needs to make money.

• LickedRandi'sCake says:

Wouldn’t you think they’d just decline not to represent her anymore?

I mean, for God’s sake…..Mariah Carey was dropped from her record label once and she’s Mariah Carey!

• panty thief says:

Maybe it’s a low level agent who needs the clients? No idea. But yeah… it’s ridiculous. Julia has done nothing to earn a commission this year, so I would be really surprised if she kept any kind of representation in 2010.

• exactly, julia had nothing to do with landing this gig. the agent sets her up for stuff, the brand agrees because they don’t check background and believe the lies and fluff the agent tells them. and julia is happy to shill for anything, god knows she needs the money and exposure.

• plus, between sony and julia you have the ad agency, and the agent, both spinning lies to their respective clients. it’s all just spin.

• That’s one badass motherfucking agent.

I bet he could get a NYC sewer rat a Sony gig.

• LickedRandi'sCake says:

I never wanted the girl to be completely destroyed. I just thought she needed a heaping helping of humility handed to her. She was bitchy and mean and entitled and, let’s face it, the bumperstickers are right…..Mean People Suck.

Then, it became clear humility learnin’ was not going to be taught so easily. “Ok LRC”, I said to myself. “she doesn’t need the humility handed to her, she needs to be beat about the face with it”. Whenever RBNS would be really cruel, I’d think it was all for the greater good. IF she finally gets it, it will all be ok.

So her friends, boyfriends started distancing themselves in droves. She’s been caught lying about shilling, her life, her friends, her circumstances. She’s been let go from multiple jobs. By all accounts, from people who know her, she treats those she considers to be beneath her, terribly. In fact, she treats people she supposedly likes terribly. She licked Randi’s cake!

And what is her cosmic comeuppance? She gets a deal with Sony.

Dammit PP and Dr. Gary…..got any room for another refugee with a strong thirst and a need to rest her weary, disillusioned bones at your next hot tub party?

There, there LickedRandi’sCake. Everything’s going to be just fine.

Here, take this chilled glass of Franzia and grab a towel. Hot tub is fired up and ready to go.

Now, who wants fondue??!!

• LickedRandi'sCake says:

Thanks for talking me down from the ledge, Dr. Gary. As I always say, a girl can count on you for a comforting word and a chilled glass.

• partypants says:

You know…this is how that eric dane video started.

18. NewToLife! says:

This is hilarious but also extremely frustrating. If it was any other female on the web I would wish them well. But the fact that it is Julia is so inferiorating. She is just a terrible example of a human being and I am fairly shocked that Sony has chosen her. I commented on their site. I really hope they listen to the things that people are saying.

• sorry to burst your bubble, but i don’t think that sonyinsider.com site has anything to do with sony corporate. it is a fanboy site, not run by sony itself but by some guys who don’t even work for sony. i’m afraid all those comments are falling on deaf ears, although i certainly hope they won’t.

• NewToLife! says:

True that, but as someone said before, if it comes down to me purchasing Sony vs another brand…I now have something to tip the scales.

Sony has always been overpriced a la Mac to me, so it’s not like I was a loyal customer. But now I have a reason to not support their brand. I wanted a PS3 too, but I guess my old ass PS2 will have to do.

• melissa0sue00rbns says:

This is extremely frustrating. What has she done to deserve this? Every other person on that list is actually, legitimately famous for something that they’re GOOD at. What does she add? It boggles.

19. Julia's Fat Ass says:

Alright, we are all head-scratching here, but one thing we can actually DO, is NEVER click on her fucking site. I really believe that is one of the only things sustaining her at this point – she can point to getting X number of hits on her vanity-blog in order to convince the powers that be that she has some relevance. And don’t fucking comment on her Gawker pieces, which are few and far between anyway.

What else does she have? And don’t follow her fucking twatter either.

20. jane says:

OF course…after I hear the name Peyton Manning I always think of Julia Allison as being in the same tier of celebrity endorser. WTF Sony? Really?

21. Wide-set Vagina says:

Hey, “julia’s fat ass” commenter over at the Sony Insider article: I don’t know if you’re the same one who comments here, or if someone hijacked your handle to make RBNS look like fucking idiots, but you’re making RBNS look like FUCKING IDIOTS.

Jesus Christ in a tutu, complimenting other commenters on their hate? inviting them to hate some more over at RBNS? Way to take all the credibility out of the comments over there. They’ll discount at least 95% of the negative comments now, because they think it’s a smear campaign. ugh. just fucking ugh.

• BunnyBingo says:

I’m tending to think this is more likely rbillow or someone else trying to discredit RBNS and make Julia look better.

• Julia's Fat Ass says:

That was decidedly not me. I’m not even sure what you are talking about. Guess I must go check it out.

• Julia's Fat Ass says:

And thanks for the benefit of the doubt there. Do I sound like a moron here? I think not.

22. Jacy says:

It’s definitely one person — probably that idiot whose IP I had to block who was trying to out Jing — commenting under the names of commenters here. The writing style and spelling mistakes are similar to that idiot’s, who was based in St. Louis.

There’s no way any of us are writing that shit.

It’s stupid — it doesn’t make JA look any better, it just makes it look like even her supporters are cuckoo, and would likely make them wonder if this chick is just more trouble than she’s worth.

23. Jacy says:

And whoever the idiot is, she’s been in the chatroom spying, just so everyone knows.

24. Dr. Gary says:

Looking at that giant sausage finger with the bright pink Lee Press On Nail? Made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

25. totaljing says:

Not a good idea to Carpet bomb Sony. Sorry, guys, not a good idea. Makes us all look like freaks.

• juliaspublicist says:

I’ll agree it was ill-advised, but reading about the deal is simply infuriating. How this woman gets the chances that she gets makes absolutely no sense to me.

26. prettyprettyprincess says:

who the fuck is this IDIOT commenting on the sony article? honestly who would spend their time snooping around here, and the chat room, post that many comments on the sony article, and do such a piss-poor job of it?
    i would be almost impressed by their level of effort and commitment to trolling/supporting julia/whatever the fuck if they hadn’t done such a terrible job of impersonating rbns commenters. hopefully anyone unfamiliar with the ja/rbns circle of infamy will just take a look at that shitstorm of comments and choose to ignore the entire mess altogether.

• Happiness is a Troll-Free Zone says:

Astonishingly stupid, whoever it is. Who else would be that emotionally invested in JA and her hate site? Even if it isn’t JA, it LOOKS like it’s JA, so if the goal was to avenge her heroine — FAIL. Sony is going to read that and think what the hell have we gotten ourselves into? Not only is she despised, she is coming on here in the middle of the night challenging her haters on our website.

Really smart.

27. partypants says:

“What, were Chris Crocker and the ‘Chocolate Rain’ guy not available?”

oh christ I just wet my chonies a little